IAI recently renewed its Reseller agreement with Neo Technology for the Neo4j Product Suite. Neo4j is a high-performance, NoSQL graph database developed by Neo Technology. A graph database is a database that uses graph structures with nodes, relationships, and properties to represent and store data and is based on graph theory.
Graph databases, unlike their NoSQL and relational brethren, are designed for lightning fast access to complex data found in recommendation engines, social networks and networked systems. Graphs inherently are a very intuitive way to represent relationships between data. Graph databases differ in that the data is the structure. This provides a level of flexibility and resilience that is a great match for today’s fast moving business and agile development method. Neo4j is unique in that it is the only graph database on Gartner’s Operational Database Magic Quadrant.
Neo4j encompasses all of the features of a mature and robust database. A programmer works with an object-oriented, flexible network structure rather than with strict and static tables – yet enjoys all of the benefits of a fully transactional, enterprise-strength database. For many applications, Neo4j offers significant performance enhancements compared to relational databases. Neo4j also scales up and out supporting tens of billions of nodes and relationships, and hundreds of thousands of ACID transactions per second. Key features include:
· Intuitive – data representation by a graph model
· Reliable – with full ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability) transactions
· Durable – using a custom disk-based, native storage engine
· Massively Scalable – linear read scaling through horizontal clustering
· Highly-Available – thanks to clustering
· Expressive – with a powerful, human readable graph query language, Cypher
· Fast – with a powerful traversal framework for high-speed graph queries (will run up to 1000 times faster than an RDBMS)
· Language Support – supports all popular programming languages
· Embeddable – with a few small jars
· Labeled Property Graph Model – the best combination of convenience and power for graph applications